Bill,

I'm surprised by your statistics.
We've the same experience as Bob W. down here.
Pit bulls are notorious for having killed neighborhood kids
in the city. They are guard dogs or fighting dogs.

My best image of Goldens is from a TV documentary on
training them to become guide dogs for the blind.  It was
line of 20 dogs sitting while two folks tossed a tennis
ball back and forth in the area... followed by letting one
dog get up and play with them and the ball while the
others had to stay quiet.  It was an amazing display.

My son went to central Indiana for his Golden.  The
breeder has guarantees about hip problems with the dogs.
We'll see how it works out.  The dog is a lot bigger than
it is supposed to be (a 130 pound male) and a lot bigger
than it's parents but smart and with a sweet disposition.

We had a cocker spaniel when I was a kid...dumb as a stump.
When I went to college, my parents got a German Shepherd.
It was a fierce dog with a big bark and wicked growl,
but smart as hell.  If my Dad had it off leash in the yard,
it could bolt across the street at strangers running thru
the neighborhood..  He'd bolt after it yelling at the teens
to stop and don't move!  The dog never bit anyone, but it
held many prisoners.

We fought with the dog as a puppy wearing an old Eisenhower
jacket and later wearing an old WWII parka.  The dog would bite
your arm and love it. When it got too rough, we'd say Ouch! and
the dog would let up but still fight with us.  Several years later
we learned that fighting between family members was prohibited.
If my little brother and I were play fighting, the Shepherd would
stand between us and bark at one then the other.  Smart dog.

Of course, that's only my experiences with a couple of dogs.
My folks had two more German Shepherds, but neither were as
well adjusted as the first.  By then, my brother and sister had
moved out of the household.

Regards,  Bob S.