On 2/08/07 2:18 PM, "Tom C", <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It makes a weird sort of marketing sense,
> but I'd like to see numbers and photos showing exactly how the optics of the
> newer lenses are *demonstrably* better than the legacy lenses, especially
> considering the image circle from a legacy lens is from the sweet spot when
> projected on an APS sized sensor.

Difficult to quantify it.
But here is one thing I know (and believe).
In my other hobby, the difference in the level of sophistication of
equipment used is more pronounced than in the case of camera/lens (which is
more subtle).
But everybody knows that the difference in skill level of people who use it
always outplays the difference in equipment used.  Nevertheless, people keep
spending lots of money for more expensive equipment just to eliminate the
factor of perceived difference in equipment.
In photography, only those pixel peeper can tell much of difference in
decent equipment, be it lens or camera (there certainly are obvious dogs),
and become too obsessed with it to the point to forget the joy of
appreciating the printed products which is the basic of photography.

Ken