Yes.

Note: The lenses of almost all motion picture cameras use T-stops (measure
of light transmission). At one time in the industry, before the excellent
coatings of today and when the lenses of these cameras were mounted on
turrets, there could be a significant difference between an f/stop and a
T-stop and between one lens and another. Even with the advent of zoom
lenses, the problem continued when shooting scenes with several cameras
using different lenses. You might detect the difference on the silver screen
because you would be seeing the results side by side and in time and
overlapped. I've read that the human eye can detect a difference of about
1/3 stop and some films exaggerate this (high contrast films). Photographs
are not usually viewed as same scene side-by-side, and even when they are,
the change doesn't take place overlapped in 1/30th of a second. In a print,
or adjustment of a slide for the printed page, it may be nearly impossible
to detect small differences that might be obvious on the silver screen. Some
camera lens makers publish the maximum T-stop of their lenses. The f/stop
and T-stop of a pinhole camera are the same.

T-stop determines light transmission accurately and DOF and diffraction
closely.
F/stop determines DOF and diffraction accurately and light transmission
closely.

Mirror tele's throw everybody off. When they say they're f/8, what do they
really mean?

Regards,
Bob...
-------------------------------
"In the carboniferous epoch
we were promised perpetual peace.
They swore if we gave up our weapons
that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed they sold us,
and delivered us, bound, to our foe.
And the gods of the copybook headings said,
'Stick to the devil you know.' "
--Rudyard Kipling

From: "Yoshihiko Takinami" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>