Shel wrote:

> Since I use rangefinder cameras, hand-held meters, and even cameras
> with non-ttl metering, and the exposures are correct regardless of how
> I meter, and regardless of which lenses I use, how might that be
> explained?

It can only be explained with that you're not very critical when it comes to exposure
: -)

Mechanical cameras shutters are all of them at least half a stop off on the higher
speeds - often in a random manner. Aperture setting on lenses are usually 1/3 to 1/2
stop off. Light transmission of lenses might vary from lens to lens and focusing
distance due to extension . Non professional film has 1/3 stop error margins.
Processing error margin is 1/3 stop if lucky. Then theres meter calibration. Without a
precise built in spot meter accurate metering with user control within 1/3stop
Precision is basically impossible. And how do you set that exposure on a mechanical
camera where the  shutter speed is in one stop increments? The error margin here is
1/2 stop. Fortunately, in most cases all these errors cancel each other.

Pål