Nobody came up with the answer to my quiz why
the Pentax Takumar Screw mount lenses were/are all
so good?

Answer : They were 200% optical bench tested
before being sold in USA. Thats right, 200%.

Every single final assembled Takumar Lens
was optically bench tested at the Asahi
factory in Japan before being imported into
the USA by Honeywell. THEN, once Honeywell
got them, Every single lens was optically bench tested AGAIN
by Honeywell before being put for sale in
USA. This is why ( along with the superb build
quality ) there is such consistant high optical quality for these
lenses as the dogs were all rejected in the process.

I doubt that many lenses today are subjected to
such high quality control. I am sure expensive
ones still are, but not the entire lens series.
It would be way too costly in today's market I would
especially when the build quality of many lenses
( especially budget models ) would create more rejects.

This brings up another thought, wouldnt it have been
cool to work in that test dept and have a company
discount to purchase the lenses? I mean, if a given
lens had to meet say, 75 lp/mm to pass test, and they
typically ran say, 80 to 85 lp/mm, what would be cool
would be to sit aside and buy the occasional 90 to 95 lp/mm
lens that might have squeaked thru once in a while.
Employees get to buy the "gems" so to speak! I wonder if this actually
occured, or maybe Pentax or Honeywell permitted it? That
would interesting to find out.

jco