Thanks Godfrey, I knew you'd have a clear answer for me.

I guess step 1 is to finally get that memory upgrade from the stock
512M. :)

I've tried several times to download and install CS2, and maybe it's the
memory thing, but I always get install errors, and CS2 is unusable.

I've grabbed the CS3 beta, and it worked well, even with only 512M.  Of
course, since I don't have a CS2 license, I could only use it for a
couple days. :(

Does Lightroom have basic editing capabilities? (cropping, levels, etc)
Could I use that 30 day trial to get some photos processed while I
wait for CS3?

Sadly, the PS7 license isn't mine, it's an unused work license which
I was
borrowing.  I'll have to purchase CS3 outright.

thanks again,
jp