In your list of considerations you left out rental availability. Very
important for the things you use so seldom that buying is not sensible,
and when you need a substitute because yours is in the shop.

Funny, I have been looking at mixers and have about 90% decided upon the
Yamaha too, although apparently a lot lower spec'd model than you. I
have a couple of obsolete portable stereo cassette decks that I want to
use them for field recording. Next up are microphones, and here I could
use some advice, I have a couple of Nady's whose main virtual is that
they were essentially free with the cables I needed, and whose main
fault is their -76db sensitivity. I am thinking I would eventually want
to have a pair of dynamic omnidirectionals (EV 635a?), a pair of
condenser cardioids for each deck, and a couple of shotgun mics. Does
that seem right? I also find it somewhat ironic that adapters to mount
mics on my photographic stands are rather expensive, but not quite as
expensive (by a couple of bucks) as buying mic stands.

-graywolf