From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Peter Lacus
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 4:38 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: beauty shot: Pentax K10D- 17mm lenses are out there

John,

> I may have oversharpened the first web sized attempt on
> this but I didnt alter the levels on this shot
> from the capture, it was already pegged from
> full black to full white on the histogram as
> captured (most likely due to the blazing highlights
> in the chrome struts) and the limited dynamic
> range of the camera. I dont prefer soft or
> prefer contrasty, I prefer accurate reproduction
> of whatever the lens was aimed at. Actually, based
> on my experience, It is ususally indicative of
> a good exposure and good lens whenever the histogram
> reaches a full spread like that.

that's your choice and I did not criticized it in any way. Whether the
image accurate reproduces the scene in front of the lens I don't care
too much, whether it captures one's attention or evokes one's emotions I

do care.

> Anyway, heres another attempt at this one (larger still) , hopefully
> it better shows this RMC tokina 17mm F3.5 lens to actually be pretty
> good in my opinion.
>
> http://www.jchriso.com/temp/17MMRMCTOKINASAMPLE1L.jpg

full size version looks indeed even better than the intermediate one yet

it's still too sharp/contrasty for my taste. ;-)

But when considered it was shot to JPEG it's actually pretty good.

Cheers,

Peter