Jan van Wijk remarked:

> I like the idea too, I'd rather have a 4MP K-mount digital
> SLR for $2000 to $3000 in a few months

(or, more realistically, in probably around a year)

> than the 6MP full-frame for maybe $7000 now ...

That's pretty much what I've been saying for the last six months, too.

Let's face it - a digital camera becomes obsolete extremely quickly.
It's bad enough if a $2000 camera turns into a $2000 paperweight in
a few years, but how many of us can write off $7000 in that same time?

Perhaps, once the digital camera market matures, we'll see cameras
that last a while (perhaps not the 25+ years some of us are getting
from out old manual bodies, but at least something in the 5-10 year
range).  But at present the digital camera bodies aren't quite good
enough for that.  They're getting good enough to be used for quite
a few purposes, but with a digital body you are at best stuck with
the level of technology current when the camera was built (and, to
be realistic, liable to find things deteriorating as the sensor ages;
pixels will fail, and the sensitivity will probably decrease).
While some things on manual cameras are limiting (the 1/1000 top end
speed of my MX occasionally causes me a few problems) not all of the
technology is embedded in the camera;  I'm getting better pictures
today than I was back in 1976 because I'm able to take advantage of
improvements in film emulsions.  A digital camera won't be able to
take advantage of improvements in sensor technology (and before any
one suggests it:  user-upgradable digital camera bodies aren't going
to be cost effective - by the time you've changed all the expensive
stuff like the sensor, memory, processors & data paths, you might as
well get a whole brand new box to put the pieces in).  So until the
sensor technology ceases to be the limiting factor in the quality of
digital images we can expect to see the cameras continuing to become
obsolete at around the current rate.

--
John Francis  .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .  (650) 565-4427
MyWay.com          1070 Arastradero Rd,     Palo Alto,    CA  94306

Hello.  My name is Darth Vader.  I am your Father.  Prepare to die.