On 5/15/07, Rick Womer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Condolences not necessary.  It's actually a pleasant
> city.  It could use some jobs to replace the 50,000
> that Kodak has cut in the last 10 years, though.

I was being my usual snarky self.  I've never been to Rochester, so I
oughtn't have commented;  in any event, I was being tongue-in-cheek.

I do know that unemployment is rather high due to those nasty Kodak
layoffs, otherwise, I know little about Rochester.

Several years ago some brilliant entrepeneur decided that a high-speed
hydrofoil ferry service between Toronto and Rochester would be a good
idea.  After fleecing various levels of government for money, the
thing was a bust.  IIRC, It made all of about two or three round trips
before it went belly-up, leaving behind a trail of creditors.

As the inaugural run approached, one of our Toronto dailies printed an
article, wherein they opined that the ferry would be a bust because
(a) no one in Rochester has any money, as everyone's poor due to the
layoffs, so no one from that end would pay to come to Toronto, and,
(b) Rochester is such a barren wasteland, with ghettos and crime and
no nightlife or culture, that no one from The Centre of the Universe
(Toronto) would want to go there.

I exaggerate a bit, but the slant of the story was that Rochester
isn't a very appealing place.

I kind of figured they were wrong, or at least engaging in hyperbole...

cheers,
frank