> Very  nice gallery. Pretty countryside (England looks so
> manicured compared
> to  California). Age, I think, mainly. How long one has been
> settled vs the
> other.

probably. That part of the country has been inhabited continuously
since the end of the last Ice Age, I think. Deforestation happened
over several thousand years, and there has been agriculture there for
about 6,000 years. Dorset grew rich off sheep farming during the
Georgian period, and the hedgerows would have been planted following
the Enclosures of the 18th (?) century.

There are still some primeval woodlands in the region, but not much,
so practically the whole countryside is man-made.

--
 Bob