Thanks Bob,

It's indeed hard to imagine there being any truly primeval forest left
in Europe at all, not just UK.
The definition of ancient woodland is quite interesting, particularly
the first two bullet points:
# Ancient woodland is land continuously wooded since AD1600 in England
and Wales or AD1750 in Scotland.
# Areas of ancient woodland that have never been cleared or replanted
are known as semi-natural ancient woodland (SNAW). This resource
cannot increase and is irreplaceable.

I guess a fully natural ancient woodland would correspond to our use
of "premieval forest".

The coniferous forest (ie northern boreal region) in Norway takes on
average 300 years without managing to approach SNAW status, which is
nicely between the age set for Scotland and England/Wales. Most areas
with SNAW forest in Norway are already part of national parks, and it
is a ridiculously small area compared to the total amount of forest.

It puzzles me a bit that they claim "this resource cannot increase".
Certainly, if an area is left to itself for a couple of centuries...?

Jostein