>> Chris Brogden:
>> Ok, but the Optio 430 doesn't have an uncompressed mode either.

> Shel:
> I don't know what "uncompressed mode" is, but the 420 does have a .TIFF
> format - at least that's what I recall.

Nope. The Optio 430 has three resolutions and three compressions but doesn't
support .tiff. There's no uncompressed file capture available.

>> Antti-Pekka:
>> I get print stability (100 years or more) as a bonus. Also, the color
>> management is a lot easier with the computer darkroom.

> Shel:
> You won't know that for many years to come.  Just because some marketing
> maven says it's so doesn't make it so.  It may, or may not, be true.

Don't mean to pick on you here, Shel my friend, it's not quite that
unknowable. Henry Wilhelm runs an independent lab and had been working with
print permanence for many decades (he was part of the original "East Street
Gallery" that first devised archival washers for black-and-white). His
integrity is unquestioned, and his methods for determining likely print LE
(life expectancy) are by now very sophisticated. He did get blindsided by
the ozone "orange fade" problem last year, but generally his methods are a
pretty good indicator of likely print LE. After all, it's widely accepted
that the permanence of a good platinum print is 200-500 years, but
photography hasn't been around that long. These claims, while not 100%
certain (what is?) are not just based on marketing.

--Mike