Hi ...

I don't see digital printing as a replacement for silver gelatin prints,
but I am concerned that, due to the contemporary business climate, over
time, less and less in the way of materials will be available for those
wishing to explore the process of a chemical darkroom.  That said, my
comments about longevity were mainly a broadside at those who believe
everything put before them.  I am a skeptic by nature, having seen many
schemes and shames.

I ~do~ recognize digital printing as another way of expressing one's
self and of putting an image into a viewable format.  What few people
know - at least on this list - is that, although I enjoy conventional
photography, and reportage especially, in the past I have manipulated
prints in very experimental ways, using inter negatives, litho film,
reticulation, solarization, hand coloring, high and low contrast,
collages, and who knows what else.  I am not averse to going further and
using other methods to produce a final print.  I've just not done any of
that sort of manipulation is a very long time.

I am, however, slow to embrace new technology, in any area, not just
photography.  I make changes very slowly, only after carefully
investigating the possibilities and alternatives.  At this point I am
~very~ reluctant to give up film or embrace the digital camera as a
recording tool.  OTOH, I am not averse to finding an acceptable method
for making prints using digital technology.  The film/digital
combination is appealing on several levels, but, as appealing as it is,
I do not see changing from silver gelatin to digital output.  Rather, I
see digital printing as another way to express my point of view.  I am,
after all, scanning negs now, and learning a bit about that end of the
process.  The next step is printing.  It may take a few months, or a few
years, but I will be producing digital prints from film-recorded images
at some point - once I know and understand what I want.

There are a couple of well-regarded labs in the area that do exceptional
work.  I've already visited one of them, and, just today, have left word
with another that I want to visit their premises.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]