There is a bit of nonsense in that article, but it seems basically correct.

The thing you do not get from photos is how big the thing is. Without the
weapons pod, the only way I saw one, on the ground it looked like it is on
stilts. I worked on RB-47's and the 58 was almost as long as one of them, and
stood a good story off the ground, you could have driven a truck under its
belly. It was much more impressive in reality than any of the photos made it
look.

In a brief conversation with the pilot I was told that the plane could go in
supersonically in terrain following mode about 50 feet off the ground several
miles away from the target pull up into Immelmann turn releasing the pod just
before going over on its back toss it in a high parabolic curve to to the
target, and after rolling back to level get the hell out before the the pod
hit.
He claimed that in that get the hell out mode the plane could do mach 3.5 for a
few minutes before skin temperatures became a problem. Of course he could have
been exaggerating. However, if the aircraft could do mach 2 with the pod and a
full fuel load I do not see why it could not do 3.5 without the pod and only
30%
or so fuel.

A couple of points at variance with the article you linked; The on board
computer did fly the aircraft in terrain following mode. The weapons pod was
not
a guided missile, aimed yes, guided no. I guess I would call the thing an
attack
bomber as opposed to a strategic bomber. Certainly the Air Force had nothing
that could carry the 58 piggy-back no matter what the original design concept
might have been.