In a message dated 11/18/01 4:08:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> How hard is it really to spend a few
> hours (or even
> > an entire day if you have a huge collection) every 20-30 years
> > transferring your data?  Doesn't sound too unreasonable to me.

Can we say: "affordability"? The gist of the "data transfer" thread assumes
(mightily), that tens of millions of folks are going to buy the latest
storage medium then transfer again every time the storage medium changes.
Businesses who have a vested interest in maintaining access to their
products, (music, radio, television, video and movies, businesses) regularly
and readily transfer property to new storage technology. Ted Turner is the
Guru of the genre, by now having copied and restored the entire MGM movie
library.

Not so we consumers. There are tens of millions of 78rpm records out there
whose owners have not or do not think about transferring their data. Ditto
for 8-track tapes, 45rpm records, 8 and 16mm movies. Why?
Transferring data is damned expense is one why. Nostalgia in the guise of
being or owning contemporary stuff costs like h*ll.
Here we are on this list, most of whom still harbor the "boxes under the bed"
storage system. Why don't they (PDMLers), 100% of them, knowing what they
know, transfer their slide/negative/print data as per new storage medium?
Again, because the transfer is 1. Expense (priced a quality DVD-R or RW
machine lately)? 2. labor intensive 3. Time-consuming 4. boring.

Large newspapers/magazines keep huge amounts of their staff busy archiving,
transferring their merchant and intellectual properties on microfilm and
other storage media.
Those with a vested interest in maintaining their intellectual or creative
property do. Those without-don't. As I noted, transferring my
negatives/prints to CD didn't reduce the storage space used, just made it
more accessible. And who, beside me, gives a hoot about my images? The
copyrighted material is safe, the rest of it is but a salve to my ego, but of
no great value to anyone but me and I'm not so sure I give a hoot about
images I made which I'm not likely to benefit from.
I just finished my last transfer of my entire image data. If CD-RW and my Zip
250 can't serve me into the near future, I know they are the ~last~ changes
I'll make in my storage procedures.

Mafud
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]