There's no film that's practically unscannable that I'm aware of.  I've
scanned both Velvia and Kodachrome.  A scanner/film combination may exhibit
certain characteristics.

What's really being referred to is the relative ease of getting the desired
results in a raw unadjusted scan.  Certainly some films are more easily
scanned and require less adjustment, but I have always got results that
ranged from satisfactory to great, depending on how much time I spent and
the intended purpose.

Essentially the scanner is taking a picture of the film, and as with all
images, exposure, contrast, etc., will likely need adjusted after the scan.
We all tend to expect things will work like magic, just like our cameras
should never over/under expose.

Someone will likely disagree or come up with that instance where their scans
of this/that film were absolutely horrendous and no amount of adjustment
could make it better, but I haven't seen it yet.

Tom C.