On Nov 26, 2007, at 2:58, Toralf Lund wrote:
> I've also suspected (or experienced) that the Pentax AF isn't really
> as
> slow as some would have it, or not slow at all in relative terms if
> you
> compare fairly (as Mr Robb points out), but that's a different issue.

I was at a family function a couple days ago.. spent about half an
hour shooting with the DS with and without flash (but mostly with) and
used manual focus almost exclusively as it was dark and... well... the
focus is stinky in dim light.  This was with the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens.

Then I noticed a camera sitting lonely on the counter - a Nikon D70
with the 18-whatever "kit" lens.  I figured it belonged to one of my
cousins and that he'd appreciate having someone take a few snaps with
it.  So (first time with a Nikon in my hands) after orienting myself
with some of the controls, I walked around and took a bunch of photos
with it.

And I have to say - the response of that camera (both in terms of how
quickly it focused and how quickly the shutter/mirror combo went THWAP
the instant you pressed the shutter) was very very impressive.  And
this is a camera of the same vintage as my DS.  (Same sensor too, is
it not?).

The interface was a bit to get used to - but the SPEED was something
else.  I would LOVE to have a camera with the image quality of my DS
but with the raw SPEED of the Nikon.  I was impressed.

Yes, the DS focus speed is slow.  Maybe you're right and it isn't "as
slow as some would have it" but the difference was immediately
noticeable (and annoying).

  -Charles

--
Charles Robinson - [EMAIL PROTECTED]