Bill wrote:

"OK, I also have a question: what's the advantage of ultrasonic motors?
I'm interested in AF speed, since I've had a lot of trouble with my
camera and it's kit lens (annoying AF hunting or even impossible AF in
not-so-low :( light)."

Interesting discussion here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=25727826

I want Pentax to bring out a firmware option that will allow us to
switch between shaft-drive and SDM AF. Reasons are:

1. Before getting the two DA* lenses, I had not realized how much I rely
on audible feedback to know when an AF lens has locked focus. Now I
know. In bright light I often can't see the focus indicator in the
viewfinder. I would like to have the option of getting that audible
feedback. And, no, I won't turn the focus confirmation beep back on.

2. In 10 or 15 years, when Pentax can't repair the SDM mechanism, I
would like to be able to switch back to shaft drive.

Overall I am not impressed with SDM. Perhaps it is useful for people who
really need the quiet focusing. For me it is a big yawn, with some
negatives.

Pentax engineers hinted that SDM wouldn't focus faster. But even many
people who read that interview were in denial about it.

Other than this, I like the DA* lenses very much.

Joe