----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Question for automobile enthusiasts on the list

> The first car I lusted after was a 57 Old Starfire convertible. That was
> in the early sixties, and it had a whopping price tag of $450. Far more
> than I could pay.
>
> A year later I bought a 34 Ford Tudor. It didn't have a drivetrain, but it
> came with a 1960 Poniac Nascar engine and dual range hydramatic.They were
> laying on the floor of the car where the seats should have been. I was
> only fifteen years old. i rounded up three or four of my buddies and we
> pushed it two miles from the garage where it was stored to may dad's
> garage. Took me two years to put it all together and get it running, but
> it eventually went112 mph in a quarter mile in 12.56 seconds. The front
> end lifted a bit at more than 100 mph, but I aligned the rear axle well
> enough (on its buggy spring) that I could keep the hammer down even when I
> couldn't steer. Lots of fun. Teenagers don't know fear.

Har!!
My first car was much more recently built than yours. A 72 Mercury Capri
(built in Germany). Sadly, while it had a very peppy little 2 liter engine,
the darned thing had a 3 speed automatic. If I pushed it really hard, I
could coax 105mph out of it. After that, I had back to back Mada RX-2s. The
first had the 12AR engine, which put out 60hp more than the standard 12A
engine. I recall it was close to 180hp, not bad for an 1100cc engine. Odd
little 4 door sedan, but it stayed on the ground unless pushed really hard.
The next one was a 2 door fastback which bore an uncanny resemblance to an
airfoil. It was pretty light on the ground at any speed over 100mph.
I was coming down a long grade one day, going very fast. I actually lifted
all 4 wheels off the road for a couple of hundred feet.
No Fear!!

William Robb