Paul Stenquist wrote:
> Utter nonsense. Take a look at the J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction
> Index. A number of American brands are right at the top. Quite a bit
> ahead of Nissan I might add. I've had six Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep
> leased vehicles over the last 15 years. None has ever had to spend
> even an hour in the dealership. And Chrysler products aren't among
> the leaders, but they're still plenty reliable.

I had an 86 Ram with the 225 slant, which, I might add, was one hell of
a good engine.  However, the intake and exhaust were shit.  The smog
recycling pump, or whatever it was called, was a complete waste.
Problems with the carb and that pump left me stranded more than once.
The starter, too, was crap.  I learned early on to carry the necessary
tools behind the seat.  The fourth, and last, time I swapped out the
starter was on the town square.  Took me 30 minutes, including the 2
block walk to the Western Auto store to buy a replacement.  I sold her
shortly after that.

In 2003 I bought a brand new Dakota SLT.  Extended cab, v8.  I had put
her in the shop for transmission problems, weather stripping replacement
(it fell out), the brake release broke off in my hand, the A/C quit at
3500 miles, a driver's seat back that wouldn't lock into place, and an
electrical problem that caused some of the dash lights to flicker when i
had the headlights on - all within 6 months of purchase.

Missouri's lemon law stated that within a year the same problem had to
occur 3 times, or the vehicle had to be in the shop for more than 30
days, at which time I could take steps to force Chrysler to buy the damn
thing back.  The same thing never broke twice.  It was something new
every time.  And it was obvious that it wasn't going to be in the shop
for 30 days.  So I traded it in for a 2003 Xterra.  No problems for
85,000 miles.  Routine maintenance only.  (Whoever bought my Dakota
continued to have problems, as I received 3 dealer satisfaction surveys
over the next 6 months for repairs that occurred after I traded it in.)

The Xterra is my second American made Nissan.  The first was a 94
pickup.  I sold her at ~130,000.  No problems with that one either.

Of course, these are my own experiences.  But I find it highly unlikely
that I've had two Dodge trucks that were worse than average and two
Nissan's that were better than average.  I'll stick with Nissan, thank you.

--
Scott Loveless
http://www.twosixteen.com/fivetoedsloth/