On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 01:14:48 -0600, Mike Johnston wrote:

>One more thing I've forgotten to mention. If you shoot slides, you'll pay
>approximately 40¢ per frame. Call it $14.00 a roll. (Is that about right,
>Isaac and Aaron?)
>
>So if you shoot a measly 100 rolls a year (that's only 2 rolls a week), you
>spend about $1,400.
>
>Which means, in turn, that if you buy a $2,000 digital camera, a flash media
>card, a card reader, and a copy of Photoshop Elements, the camera will
>completely pay for itself in approximately two years. If you shoot more, it
>pays for itself even more quickly.*  Better, from then on you start SAVING
>money you otherwise would have spent. At the rate of $1,400 per year, if you
>keep the camera for four years, you got the camera for free and will have
>saved $2,800.

This doesn't work for me.

If I shoot 100 rolls of film I end up with a drawer of slideboxes that
I can pull out at any time and view with a slide viewer or projector.
I can lend them to people, scan them, show them at meetings and so on.
If I shoot 3600 digital pictures at 4 meg per picture (that's what I
get from my primefilm scanner) and I wouldn't take a digital camera
that did less, then I have 14 gig worth of hard drive space tied up.  I
can only show them to people with computers unless I print them out on
the printer at a cost of about a dollar for a quarter A4 sheet.  I
can't easily show them at meetings because we still use slides.  If my
computer crashes I loose all of them, unless I back them up onto CD
rom, which if it's scratched can cause a whole image to be corrupted
whereas a scratch on a slide can be touched up.

Sorry, I still like film.

 Leon

http://www.bluering.org.au
http://www.bluering.org.au/leon