>...the tire issue turned out to be primarily a Ford problem, in that the
>Explorer suspension
>was inherently unstable...

Not so. The Explorer suspension was not unique to the vehicle.

>...so they chose a small tire and listed dangerously low inflation
>pressures in the manual to drop the center of >gravity so as to stabilize
>the vehicle rather than re-engineer the suspension and fix their
>own screw up.

The tire size was consistent with other similar vehicles. The specified
inflation pressure was within the recommendations of Firestone.
There were several other factors involved - Firestone made a change to the
internal construction of the tire used which made it less robust & tire
inflation was not monitored by the owner/drivers. The tire failures were
mainly blow outs, resulting in loss of control by the operator & subsequent
roll over if not controlled properly.

> Essentially, they chose to kill their customers....

Yep, that's the goal of most companies....

>...and blame Firestone rather than fix their shitty vehicles.

That explains why it has been the best selling SUV in its class.

Kenneth Waller
http://www.tinyurl.com/272u2f