Hi,

It might be a no-no for your needs, but it may be worth looking at Metz
offering, specially for those who have a limited budget:

I've a couple Metz flashguns second hand, and I'm very happy about them.
Both are SCA3000 "universal" units with Pentax adapters, with
twist/swivel capability, secondary lamp to assist when bouncing, and a
very nice looking, powerful light. Both used to work great with MZ/ZX
series and the *ist DS in TTL mode, but do not support PTTL. As everyone
knows, Pentax does not support TTL anymore since the *ist DS, so we're
stuck with A and M modes.

However, these units feature the unique "Smart Auto" mode that even
Pentax flashguns lack: in A mode (and M also, BTW), all parameters
(ISO/focal distance for zooming/aperture) are transmitted automagically
to the flash, and there is no additional setting to do on the flash itself.

So, these units can be used in A mode as easily as in TTL/PTTL mode. The
internal sensor is very accurate, and it's really a pleasure to use.

    - the 40 MZ3 is a bit older, and with the K10D it exposes strangely
when bouncing... For whatever reason, set it on Program 4 and it's
fixed. You can get it for very few bucks.

    - the 54 MZ3 is more recent, and works just fine in A mode...

As I don't use HSS and Wireless, and I don't shoot photos where (P)TTL
vs. A makes a difference, it was the best value I could find for the price.

By the way, when I know I need to do fill flash and I want to keep wide
open, I just compensate the lack of HSS by using a ND8 filter. Yes, I
lose a few stops, but so does HSS.

Just my 2 cents.

Patrice