In a message dated 11/29/01 10:00:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Greetings from Portland everyone...
>
> "The recent discussion about Robert Payne's "Arrest" photo started me
> thinking about the legal implications of "street photography". Are there
> locations and/or subjects that are just off-limits to uninvited
> photography?"

The generally accepted term literally meaning "in the streets," most times a
public event (arrests, fights, celebrities and the like) are fair game. If
the photographer is suspected of observing a crime, s/he might be asked to
surrender their film (to be receipted and returned). In matters of national
security, (or some such declared emergency), a photographer is often asked to
give up their film (no return).
~ANY~ commissioned officer can ask any civilian, (as opposed to a working
PJ/journalist) for their film (to be returned).

Recent events since September 11 has seen such a tightening of "security"
that the places I once took for granted as being "safe" to shoot, may not be
anymore.
*I've noted before that I generally didn't point my camera at any police for
any reason, especially when overseas, where the even vaunted "power (and
privileges) of the press" usually don't mean diddly.

The photo in question seems to have been taken by a non-zoom lens, maybe 35
to 50mm prime lens (because the interest, though at the center of the photo,
was not clearly defined).
**I don't remember if the photographer noted what lens he used.

> something they shouldn't have? I welcome comments, stories, whatever..."

Yup; in Haiti, The Sudan, South Africa, Utah, New York, Philadelphia,
Thailand, a NATO base in The Netherlands, Vietnam...
*After refusing to turn over my film, me and my film (and gear) have been
bodily "encouraged" to accompany police to a police lab where the film was
developed, printed, surveilled and returned.
Overseas, the problem is you simply don't know who the "particulars" are in
any photo. You may have captured an illegal transaction, or "government" spy
or criminal in your lens. One can scream "I'm an ________(pick one) citizen,
I have my rights" all you damn well pleased, but if they (police or
"security" or gangsters) ~really~ want it, they'll have your film (and you).
***There are corporate campuses where you ought not be seen with a camera.
****We learned from the OJ mess that it is legal (in the US at least) to
shoot from ~public~ property onto private or government holdings without fear
of recriminations.
(Better not try that around US Air Force bases or any military facilities
though).

Mafud
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]