[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The generally accepted term literally meaning "in the streets," most times a
> public event (arrests, fights, celebrities and the like) are fair game. If
> the photographer is suspected of observing a crime, s/he might be asked to
> surrender their film (to be receipted and returned).

Some years ago I had a knock on my door and upon opening it was confronted
by some firemen telling me the building (a church) was on fire and that our
building was being evacuated as a precaution. So I grabbed my camera and
joined the crowds on the street and thought I might get a few snaps for the
local paper.

About 5 mins into this I was approached by a police officer and asked if I might

be able to photograph the crowd, and as I had a reasonable zoom any one else
at a distance watching the fire-fighters extinguish the blaze.

The point was that apparently arsonists like to hang about to see the fire and
confusion they have created.

When I was out of film, the officer asked for it, quite nicely, and I gave it to
him.
He took my particulars and told me he would return the film as I had informed
him the first 2-3 shots were of my children.
About a week later he contacted me by phone and asked if he might drop it off.
The timing was inconvenient so he suggested I pick it up from the station at a
pre-arranged time, I did this and all was well.

In hind sight, I wonder what would have happened if I said "no, I am a freelance

photographer and want to sell the images to the press".

Kind regards
Kevin