Well, I don't know too much about the law, and how it pertains specifically to
photographing "crime scenes", but I do know a little bit about criminal law.

I don't know how photographing police officers at their work "impedes" anything.
It may piss them off, but it doesn't impede them from carrying out thier duties -
assuming that you're far enough away from the action that you're not physically
impeding them from moving about.

If an officer thinks that you've photographed relevent evidence, he or she may ask
you for the film, but as far as I know, one has no obligation to hand it over.  If
you refuse to hand it over, they can subpoena the film, or subpoena both you and
the film, for any future court case.

But if one refuses to hand it over, I believe that an arrest would be an
intolerable abuse of power, and an illegal arrest and imprisonment to boot.  To
illegally arrest a photograper in order to seize film would probably taint that
evidence to the extent that it couldn't be used in court.

That's not to say that nasty officers wouldn't threaten arrest.  That's not to say
that they wouldn't actually arrest someone in order to get their film.  But such
an arrest would, imho, be highly illegal, and leave the arresting officer
potentially liable in a fairly large civil suit.

And, if they did subpoena the film as evidence, it would have to be returned to
the rightful owner after the court proceedings, just as any other evidence has to
be.

Of course, what the law is, and how police officers act are sometimes two
different things...

regards,
frank

--
"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears
it is true." -J. Robert