----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Walkden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "frank theriault" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2001 5:52 PM
Subject: Re[2]: Illegal Street Photography?

> Hi,
>
> things are pretty bad in France at the moment:-
>
> http://www.vjgroup.org/apfrench.htm

I suppose it depends on the POV. Had these laws been in place 5
years ago, Princess Diana might well still be alive (for better
or worse).
It does look like a typical case of political over reaction to
an out of control situation however.
It does show what happens when a particular group (in this case
paparrazzi photographers) get so far out of control that their
actions start chains of events where people get hurt.
If people won't police themselves, the government will be more
than happy to do it for you, but you won't like the results.
I know, Diana and Co. were killed by a drunk driver,,,,yadda
yadda....
On another level, would she have been in that car if whe hadn't
been attempting to hide from the photographers?
Overall, it was an unfortunate situation that went terribly
wrong, but it wasn't just a drunk driver. If this set of laws is
the result, perhaps in future the (I hesitate to call them this)
photojournalists will think twice before inflicting themselves
on people.
William Robb