[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I carry all types of flashes with me. Since "assignments" won't be dragging
>me all over the place anymore, I get to choose. As noted, I shoot portraiture
>most times now and the strategically placed adjustable flash adding "pops" of
>manual flash will do when all the TTL flashes in the world won't. But then,
>that comes from my being comfortable and competent with manual flash.

Well, now we have wireless P-TTL that can fire one or more flashes
strategically located and utilize TTL.  However, the whole point of
 portable, shoe mount flashes, is for more impromptu work where the
spontaneity of automated TTL flash is valuable.  I think if I were
shooting  "portraiture assignments" I would invest in some form of
studio flash system and a good flash meter.

>But I repeat the question: how would ~you~ handle the situation I proposed?
>What's the formula to get a properly exposed shot with a broken 283 and a
>K1000, subject distance 11.5 feet?

Offhand,  I forget the guide number of the 283, mine blew up years ago,
however, one would divide the distance into the guide number to get the
f-stop.

Cheers, Mike.