On Wednesday, December 5, 2001, at 03:20  PM, Mike Johnston wrote:

> Do you mean second, after Polaroid?

Polaroid's pro materials will be around for some time still, I think, at
least in their Fuji-manufactured forms.  Also, the $50 Polaroid camera
doesn't look to be easily replaced by a $400 digital, based on price
alone.  It was other stuff that killed Polaroid -- bad marketing
decisions being foremost if you ask me.  They dumped a bucket of money
on that Britney Spears endorsement, to fuel sales of a camera they lost
money on (the I-Zone), in order to make money from the film
sales...except they forgot that a fad-loving target market uses the
camera a couple of times and then puts it on the shelf, not buying any
more film.

I sold a dozen of those cameras last Christmas, and since then I've only
sold 8 packs of the film.

> Actually, I think APS would have eventually died regardless of whether
> digital had come along or not.

I agree.  I think, though, that digital will hasten APS' demise, forcing
one or more of the big companies supporting it to drop the format.

-Aaron