In a message dated 12/5/01 8:46:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> So I think you're wrong here, but it'spossible that I'm misunderstanding
> what you're trying to say.
>
> chris

What I've said is: the physical aperture does not change. What happens in the
viewfinder I'm not clear since I don't own nor have I used all models of
PENTAX SLR cameras, and since there have been more than a few issued I don't
know about, there might be a change (in the viewfinder). But does the
aperture itself change as you contend?

Do this: look at the aperture as you zoom. Does the aperture change? Or does
any PENTAX camera act differently?

PENTAX exposure modes:
Programmed AE: lens on "A": shutter dial on "A" (Auto): camera automatically
selects the most appropriate combination of shutter speed and aperture,
changing them simultaneously...
Aperture Priority AE: lens on any f: number: when the aperture is set
manually, the shutter speed is automatically adjusted by built-in electronic
circuitry according to the subject's brightness to provide appropriate
exposure...
Shutter Priority AE, the shutter speed is set manually and the aperture value
is automatically controlled according to subject brightness...
Metered Manual: lens on any aperture, shutter dial on "M (manual)
The combination of shutter speed and aperture is completely up to you.

PENTAX flash modes:
TTL auto flash: When connected with a PENTAX dedicated TTL Auto flash unit,
the metering cell inside the mirror box will detect the light hitting the
film plane and automatically control the flash output. If you use a TTL flash
unit, and set the camera in the Aperture-priority AE mode, ~you can choose
any aperture in the flash range, thereby achieving great control over depth
of field~...
Here is the ~ONLY~ instance shooting ~TTL~ flash where the camera will adjust
the aperture:
Programmed Auto Flash:
~If~ you use a PENTAX dedicated TTL flash unit with the camera in the
Programmed AE or shutter priority AE mode, the camera will automatically
select the proper aperture and automatically control flash output.

But remember, the question was: "If I set the aperture"? And my response(s)
fit that condition: "If ~I~ set the aperture"?

Meaning? Setting the aperture yourself on a PENTAX body obviates both the
programmed auto flash or shutter priority modes.

Mafud
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]