lens housing is already stopping the amount of light to around F5.6 anyway.
>From a different perspective you could say that these are actually F5.6
constant aperture zooms that are opened up at the short end. Often times the
design of a constant aperture zoom is nothing more than opening up the front
element and lens barrel so that the diaphragm is not vignetted by the barrel
at the long end.
Kent Gittings

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 7:51 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Variable aperture zoom question

In a message dated 12/5/01 4:19:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> That's precisely the point - that because the zoom lens is variable
> aperture, I cannot be guaranteed that the amount of light admitted through
> the lens will be constant over the zoom range of the lens.
>
> I *thought* this phenomena applied to variable aperture zooms only when
set
> wide open. I'm trying to determine if this applies to *all* aperture
> settings of the lens.

I'll say this and no more: when you ~manually~ set the aperture, the
"variable aperture" becomes a "preset" (by you) aperture. Nothing you do
while zooming will (can) change the aperture until (you) change it to a
different setting.
Specifically: when an "A" lens is not on "A," the lens becomes either
semi-manual? (aperture only) or full manual (aperture and shutter on manual
setting).
**And it does not matter whether you set it wide open or close it down all
the way. The aperture CANNOT (does not) change until you change it-period.

Mafud
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

the system manager.