In a message dated 12/5/01 11:49:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> "But you were complaining that Joe sixpack can't get his digital
> processed cheaply... Now I think you're just being argumentative."

I've since learned that "Joe" can take his dinky digitals to Walmart.

> say that digital can't be processed inexpensivley, and then you
> say that a cheap place isn't a real lab so it doesn't count."

As a long time (13 years and about five stock splits later) shareholder,
Walmart pays for a lot of my personal indulgences. Thanks a lot and I mean
that from the bottom of my avaricious heart.

> go to the local "pro" lab, he's going to go to
> Walmart, Walgreens, or any number of other cheap places where he can get
> his digital stuff printed cheaply."

That is "Joe's" prerogative. But cheap in now way means or infers "good,"
"better" or most importantly for~my~ paying clients, "best"; or consistency.

> consumer
> weather they drop off film or digital files, the end result is the same.
> They have prints to hand out and show Grandma, and it doesn't have to cost
> any more."

That summation you describe is altogether different from those inferring that
somehow "cheap" equates to "quality."

"At least it doesn't here in the DC area, as well as most other urban areas
in the US."
> Isaac
> Of course I most often speak as a professional, not a "Joe."
It is the insistence of Digital's supporters that small format digital
somehow represents the same quality of digital taking and output of medium or
large format digital that is most disingenuous.
I am literally blown away by the digital work I see in visits to my "pro"
lab. But sorry, the digital I ofttimes see is medium/large format.
**Truthfully? Medium format digital shoots have the same disdain for 35mm or
smaller digital that medium format film shooters have for 35mm film.
I'm further blown away when I see what my lab can do with my 6x7 negs.
Digitizing them, cleaning them up, printing them to specs impossible to
achieve in the darkroom. But those instances of my film to digital to digital
output are rare. I can do my own 24x30 prints.
**My "framing in the camera" style means there's damn little I can't achieve
over an easel.
***Thankfully I get my "props" from the work I do and my "style."

Mafud
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]