----- Original Message -----
From: "Boris Liberman"
Subject: Re: Official, details on Dpreview

> Bill, I humbly disagree with you.
>
> People who buy K-m are likely to buy those plastic mount kit lenses
> along the way. Then of course, for them (<-- please notice that) K20D
> would appear outdated.
>
> That's the problem. Say, you have K-m. You ask yourself, what can I buy
> next up the ranks? Oh, you say, there is this full frame camera, let it
> be called K-1D for sake of this little story here. Hmmm, it is big and
> it is expensive. What is in between? Oh, K20D. Good, good, where is my
> credit car?
>
> However what happens in reality? In reality what happens is what Bruce
> or myself wrote some messages ago in the same thread.
>
> I don't want to be perceived as pessimistic or anything. I am pretty
> much content about my gear. I only want to feel certain that when some
> of it expires (as it has to), I will be able to buy new gear just as
> good as my current one. To be totally honest, I am not entirely sure of
> that.

I was being slightly sarcastic.
I've been pretty unsure of what to replace my cameras with when they expire
for several years now, although so far, new bodies arrive and get used.
If it makes you feel any better, my D300 user friend is already complaining
about the AF in his shiny new toy, and the 6 frame RAW buffer and the
somewhat slow write speeds (to be fair, he could buy a faster card than a
133x, I expect).
Your point is a good one, Pentax has, for all intents, a 2 camera line, the
choices being do you buy the cheap one (which the K200 fails miserably at)
or the somewhat less cheap one.
There should be a kind of expensive one somewhere in the line up with
enhanced performance. I think you are correct and this would draw more
buyers to the mid level camera.
It's probably time to let the SAFOX VIII AF retire. It was introduced in the
ist film body, and while it has had some tweaks over the years, it needs to
be improved.

William Robb