On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Margus Männik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> copy-paste from Wikipedia:
> "First introduced to Western Europe in the 10th century by Theophanu
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theophanu>, Byzantine wife of Emperor Otto
> II <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_II>, the table fork had, by the
> 11th century, made its way to Italy
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy>. In Italy, it became quite popular
> by the 14th century, being commonly used for eating by merchant and
> upper classes by 1600."
>
> 10th to 11th and even 14th century sounds medieval enough for me...
>
> BR, Margus

I don't know that this is definitive, but it seems that forks didn't
make their way into Western Europe until the 16th Century and even
then didn't catch on quickly:

http://www.hospitalityguild.com/History/history_of_the_fork.htm

By my sketchy knowledge of history, that's well after medieval times.

cheers,
frank

--
"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." -Henri Cartier-Bresson