frank theriault wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Margus Männik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> copy-paste from Wikipedia:
>> "First introduced to Western Europe in the 10th century by Theophanu
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theophanu>, Byzantine wife of Emperor Otto
>> II <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_II>, the table fork had, by the
>> 11th century, made its way to Italy
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy>. In Italy, it became quite popular
>> by the 14th century, being commonly used for eating by merchant and
>> upper classes by 1600."
>>
>> 10th to 11th and even 14th century sounds medieval enough for me...
>>
>> BR, Margus
>>

> I don't know that this is definitive, but it seems that forks didn't
> make their way into Western Europe until the 16th Century and even
> then didn't catch on quickly:
>
> http://www.hospitalityguild.com/History/history_of_the_fork.htm
>
> By my sketchy knowledge of history, that's well after medieval times.
>
> cheers,
> frank

Who knows... haven't been there, haven't seen that :) It is highly
possible, that in some regions fork was more known and accepted than in
others. As they had no digital cameras those days (poor guys even had no
film cameras and as we know - paintings do lie) we have no chance to
check it out. I believe I've seen some really old forks here in local
history museum (Tallinn is quite an old town, first mentioned in 1154).
Whatever happened in history - we have really good medieval (15th
century) restaurant here and they (thanks a lot!) do have forks :)

BR, Margus