If you don't want to use iPhoto ...

Open "Image Capture" (in the Applications folder). Go to its preferences (Image Capture->Preferences) and choose "No Application" with regards to what application you want the system to run automatically when a camera or card is connected. Then you can move the image files yourself, manually, without having to deal with iPhoto or anything else. At which point it's as Cotty suggested, just a set of files that you move directly.

But the question, as I read it, was "I have my files in iPhoto ... how do I use them in something else?" Some people find iPhoto sufficient for their image management and processing ... the latest version (in the iLife '08 software package) is actually quite good. It's nothing like Lightroom or Aperture or Bridge+Photoshop ... but not useless either.

Godfrey