On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Bob W <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Using Microsoft for convenience because it matches what's used at work doesn't
> preclude people from also aligning themselves with free software and open
> source
> for other aspects of their computing.

absolutely. i use windows at work, and got lucky because even if i
have to take work home, those are mostly .doc or .tif files which open
office or koffice/gimp can handle without a problem.

> To keep myself sane and in touch with a high quality model of software
> development I also use a system called Oberon, developed by Niklaus Wirth and
> the clever people at ETH Zurich. It's far and away the most efficient and
> radical operating system I've ever had any experience with, and a great many
> of
> the spin-offs from the project have found their way over the years into more
> mainstream stuff like Java. Many of the people who were important in the
> development of Oberon are now working at places like Microsoft Research and
> you
> can see their influence making itself felt.
>
> Of course there must be space for diversity - I'm not arguing against that,
> just
> against making one's life difficult just because one doesn't like Microsoft.

never heard of oberon. :-) and for most long-time linux users i know,
microsoft is a non-issue. and in any case world dominion and evil
empires were always a tongue-in-cheek thing...

> You imply above that linux is efficient in some absolute sense rather than
> efficient when compared to Windows. It may well be efficient compared to W
> (although I think that depends at what level you're measuring efficiency and
> whether that level matters at the level of the end user). But I don't think
> you
> could call it efficient in some absolute sense.

no, i didn't imply that. what i meant was for a lot of people software
efficiency alone is the criteria. "i use photoshop because it is the
most effcient tool there is". what i said was that for me that kind of
efficiency alone is not the criterion for using a piece of software.
that i like using linux not because it is necessarily more efficient
but because i like its ideology as well or ecology if your
prefer...the way software is made collaboratively, made possible by
the net. sort of high tech cottage industry if you will... :-))

I read something a few days ago
> (which unfortunately I can't find now) that was from a link posted here or
> from
> a link I followed from something posted here, which tried to put a value on
> Linux to show what people were missing by not using free software. It was a
> very
> flawed piece of reasoning, I have to say, but nevertheless the figures were
> quite interesting. Based on KLOC and function points it came up with a $
> figure
> that they reckoned it would cost to develop from scratch one of the common
> distributions, and another smaller $ figure just for the kernel. The number
> just
> for the kernel was billions of dollars.
>
> Billions of dollars to develop an operating system kernel? Give me a break!
> Either the calculations are wrong by many, many orders or magnitude or that
> kernel is a complete rat's nest of inefficiency and waste. A good principle
> for
> system design is that it should be simple and clean enough to be understood in
> total by one person. A kernel should not be so complex that any suitably
> intelligent person (eg a PhD in Computer Science) cannot understand it as a
> whole. If a kernel costs billions to develop there's no way it can be kept in
> one person's head and I don't see any way of describing that as efficient.
>
> The Oberon operation system by contrast, was developed by 2 people in a couple
> of years. When I first acquired a copy it fit onto a 1.4 meg diskette
> containing
> the operating system, gui, compiler, network connectivity, all the source code
> and so on. Even I could understand it. So much so that I developed a small
> clone
> running under Windows just to prove to myself that I understood.
>
> And unlike Linux it doesn't spend its time trying to be Windows but not
> Windows.

i don't personally think linux is trying to be like windows. may be
QT/KDE is to some extent. but there is a wealth of window managers
there that are very different in look, feel and function. and anyway i
don't know enough technically to comment on the structure of OSs. i've
never had a programming background. just been a linux user that's

and i dont' recollect the exact details, but there was/is something
like linux in a floppy though i don't think it had a gui.

> N. Wirth - Designing a System from Scratch - Structured Programming, 10:1,
> 10-18, 1989
>
> http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/

thanks. will read that up.

regards, subash