PN Stenquist wrote:
I need MS office. I get Excel spreadsheets and Powerpoint presentations from clients and colleagues, and I have to be able to see them. All of them. I tried a demo version of Apple iWorks for a while, but it couldn't realistically deal with all MS Office files. And some word.doc files created in iWork couldn't be opened by some PC-based clients. On this one, I'd say, "Nice try Apple, but no cigar." I have no love for Microsoft, but I don't let personal feelings get in the way of good business practices.

You should try Open Office. It reads (and saves) the latest MS Office file formats. Even PowerPoint, I think.