On Oct 24, 2008, at 4:58 PM, John Sessoms wrote:

I've downloaded Open Office from OpenOffice.org as an alternative to Microsoft Office.

I do have licenses for Office 2003 (I think it is), and could install that IF I wanted to, but Open Office is FREEWARE, and does just about everything MS Office does and can produce compatible output.

There are a couple of things it does different that I'm still getting used to, but overall, I'm very pleased with the performance ... and definitely pleased with the price.

Looks like a new version was released this month with a native OS-X port.

I only use Calc & Writer, but there are a bunch of other components. The presentation program Impress can output to Adobe Flash SWF files or PDF files, so if I ever need to do a slide-show presentation again ...

I don't need MS Office either.

The $80 spent on Apple's iWork package is worth it for the Keynote presentation software alone. *Nothing* else does as good a job for presentations, not that I've found. It's the best way I've found to show photographs to a group, never mind it's capabilities for doing presentations. The same could be said for any one of the three applications.

Pages and Numbers do a darn fine job too. Pages reads Word docs, Numbers reads Excel docs.

All of them can output to PDF, HTML, QuickTime, Flash, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc as appropriate to the application.

Apple updates them with bug fixes and feature additions regularly as well. Fully supported, full featured, etc etc.

Godfrey