I'm trying to figure out what you mean by "version of for civilians". If you
mean a non military version you are sort of correct. While the several
versions of the full auto M16 don't have a civilian version there are plenty
of semi-auto versions under other names produced by Armalite, Clot and
others. Bushmaster even sells a bullpup version that takes all the same
critical parts. And don't forget the semi-auto H-Bar precision target model.
It still takes 20-40 round M16 magazines.
On the subject of full-auto Class 3 weapons any law-biding, non-felony
convicted American can get just about any full auto military firearm as long
as you want to go through the background checks and pay all the money
involve. Also the local police chief/sheriff where you reside has to approve
and sign off that he will allow it to be stored in his jurisdiction. Some
will and some won't. Getting in good with the local police is a good start
before hand. I have friends who have M-60s, WWI/II British Vickers, Browning
.30 Cal air and water-cooled, and German MG-34 light and medium machineguns.
ATF and the local police know exactly where any legally owned full auto
weapon is. The felony for an illegal one or even the parts to convert a
semi-auto to full auto is a  term from 10-20 years and only in rare cases do
they impose less than 15 years. The husband of one of my former fellow
employees owns a full military M-16. It was fine up here but when he moved
to a new brokerage house and they sent him to North Carolina the local
sheriff didn't want no "Yankee owned machinegun in his county" even though
several of his local friends legally had some. So my friend had to store in
it a secure location outside that county. By the time he evolved into a
local "good ol' boy" he got sent back up to the Washington DC area and it
didn't matter.
Kent Gittings