In my experience driving Porsches in Autocross (Gymkhana) and on the track, as Ken said, the least tire spin/skid the better. Autocross and road racing is all about cornering to maintain the fastest speed coming out of the corner, fastest acceleration to the next corner, best no-skid braking (but not too much) and easeing back on the gas before you get to the apex.

The other secret I'd pass on to newcomers is: Relax. Breathe, Don't TRY to go fast. Be as smooth as you can at all times. Never jerk the wheel. Never slam on the brakes. If you've got a lot of power, never tromp on the gas. Ease into everything.

And record your tire pressures before and after every run.

And wear a new approved helmet.

Joseph McAllister
Lots of gear, not much time