Coincidentally, I'm looking into that possibility right now.  I
developed some negs recently and the focus was soft with the 90mm on the
M3.  I was shooting at relatively low shutter speeds and wide open
aperture, or one stop down.  Some earlier, and similar photos, are
beautifully sharp. I plan to double-check the camera/lens combination
for focusing accuracy, and check to see what happens when the camera is
moved off center.  I'll be using a tripod to assure that I'm not the
culprit.

That said, I've not noticed the problem at all with the 50mm or the 35mm
on either body, just the 90mm on the M3.

There are some discussions here regarding rangefinder focusing:

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-one-category.tcl?topic=Leica%20Photography&category=Technique

I've not kept up for a while, but I recall that some comments may be
applicable to you concerns.

tom wrote:

> Which leads to a related question which maybe you can answer. Like I
> said, when using AF you often "lock-on" the sensor, then recompose the
> image. With shallow DOF, this slight movement is often enough to change
> the plane of focus enough to screw things up.
>
> Using a rangefinder seems to me to involve the same dance - line up the
> images in the central area, then recompose. Do you find the act of
> recomposing throws off your focus? From my limited use of rangefinders
> it seems like the camera is moved less when recomposing as compared to
> an slr and would minimize the effect.
>
> I'm still debating the purchase of a rangefinder.

---
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]