Bruce:

> Let me correct your understanding just a little. The FA* 85
> lens is outstanding optically when used as a portrait lens.
> The bokeh is wonderful and has great control of DOF. Where
> it sucks is when used as a fast landscape lens. It is not
> designed to perform very well at infinity focus and near it.
> You must stop way down to get sharp images. People who use
> it as a portrait lens (as I do) love it! People who use it
> as a general purpose lens are disappointed.

Well, let me fine-tune your understanding just a little, too - <g>. While I do agree
with your statements ~in general~, Bruce, I do disagree somewhat with your emphasis on
it being ~so~ bad as a landscape lens.  I do think it's a better portrait lens, yes,
but I haven't found it to be so downright awfully soft at larger apertures at infinity
to be as useless as is sometimes stated.

Fred