An interesting blog with considerable tests and a review of the eneloops, "a form of NiMH battery". With some input by Sanyo.

http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/sanyo_eneloop.html

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

gallery.me.com/jomac
web.me.com/jomac/show.me/Blog/Blog.html

On Dec 22, 2008, at 15:11 , JC OConnell wrote:

hi, I read thru it briefly, it looks like they have improved
the self discharge curve with regards to remaining capacity
of the battery. but its only 10% improvement after 30 days,
a 20% improvement after 6 months and an infine improvement
after 9 months because a standard nimh would be dead.

Any improvement is good of course, but nothing to get too excited about
unless
you dont use your batteries for a long long time after
stopping all charging.

I trickle my spares all the time on stanby, mine have essentially
100% capacity whenever I need them. These batteries would
be of no help in my case, but your mileage may vary.

From what I have read, the best way to keep your spare nimh
ready to go at any moment is to pulse charge them, that is
you put a timer on a trickle charger and give them a low
current "top off" charge for an hour a day. I have found
by experimentation that a continuouse very low charge works
too but it prolly degrades the overall life of the cells,
I really dont know for sure, but its certainly nothing
major because I seem to be getting same lifetime on my nimh
batteries even with the trickling.

JC O'Connell
hifis...@gate.net