Yes, it is indeed a very fun camera to work with. I'm only beginning to see how I can exploit its capabilities to best effect, and it is proving to be very competent as I'd hoped.

The test shot I made with that rig, of a palm tree about 400 yards away:

  http://homepage.mac.com/godders/G1_w_ZD50-200-test.jpg

Processed from RAW in Lightroom 2.2, all default settings. The full frame, upper portion of the composite was treated with my standard output sharpening for down-rezzed web images at this size, the lower detail clip was not sharpened at all.

It's a dull, boring picture. I was just curious to see how much more detail in the G1's 12 Mpixel image would be visible compared to the L1 (7.5 Mpixel) and E-1 (5 Mpixel) bodies with this lens. As expected, substantial gains over the E-1 are immediately visible (Kodak sensor, stronger anti-aliasing filter), where the detail gains are smaller compared to the L1 (Panasonic sensor, weaker anti-aliasing filter). But given a very long lens and distance through the atmosphere, even the E-1 does very well with a long lens like this.

A similar test will be with the 11-22mm lens at 11mm focal length. There I suspect the resolution gain will be much more significant ... the 11-22 is a very sharp lens and definitely outperforms the both the E-1 and L1 sensors.

Unfortunately, the Olympus EC14 teleconverter isn't supported on the G1 or I'd have tested with that too, netting a 280mm f/4.9 lens. With the 50-200 and other FourThirds SLR lenses, it doesn't pass power and control through to the lens, so the lens just sits inert (servo controlled aperture and focusing). However, I can use it with adapted lenses like the Pentax M50/1.4 where I have manual focus/iris control ... makes a very nice 70mm f/2 lens.

Godfrey