Godfrey DiGiorgi <godd...@mac.com> wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2008, at 8:57 PM, sandyinchina wrote:

>> I'm thinking something like a 50/3.5 -- Leica, cheap Russian, or
>> the aspherical Voigtlander if could find it  ...

> I would go for a fast 40-50mm lens, why stick with something almost as slow
> as the zoom it comes with?

Collapsible. Tiny; the Voigtlander is 150 g. Sharp; Popular Photography
called the V among the sharpest lenses it had ever tested:
http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses/334/voigtlnder-heliar-50mm-f35.html

Haven't found a Voigtlander yet; might or might not seem worth its
price if I do. Cameraquest does have the later & faster 50/2
collapsible at $429.

At $50 or so, often with a camera thrown in, the Russia ones look
irresistable.

I'd get a faster 50 as well, for when I need it. Used 1.8s are cheap
but I'd look for 1.4 or even a bargain 1.2.

> The one I have my eye on is the Nokton 40mm f/1.4.

Yeah, that's nice. Why not a used 35mm? Or 43mm Limited?

--
Sandy Harris,
Quanzhou, Fujian, China