In a message dated 12/16/01 8:10:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> - Your comment implies that the electro capability can fail but the
>  mechanical will still work in manual mode - true or false?
It's been a while, but here's what I remember about the K2's shutter.  If the
camera had dead batteries, the meter would not work and the shutter speeds
were not variable in manual mode.  The shutter would fire at a constant speed
[probably X sync] regardless of what the dial was set to.  If however, the
batteries were okay but the electro-mechanics were faulty, the meter would
act erratically, with the needle bouncing all about.  The speeds would be
timed properly, but not necessarily correct for the given EI.  I observed
this in a K2 I was planning to buy.  So I called Pentax in Colorado and was
told they could no longer fix it.  That was at least 10 years ago, probably
more.  That's when I traded in the K2 and K2 DMD [while they were still
working] for an LX.

>  -Wouldn't the same be true of other Pentax models?
The ES II behaved the same way without batteries and so did the ME Super.  I
believe the ME Super provided 1/125 sec. without batteries.  I know the LX
provided all speeds from 1/75 to 1/2000 sec. without batteries.  I don't know
about the Super Program and thereafter.

Everything I said about the K2 was strictly from memory.  If anyone out there
has better info, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks,
Bob