On Jan 29, 2009, at 07:56 , frank theriault wrote:

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 1:27 AM, John Francis <jo...@panix.com> wrote:

Most cats do.  There's a special sort of noise that cats make when
they are watching birds just outside the window - a kind of click
or chirrup.  I don't know why they do that, but it's a noise that
I have come to know well.

According to Desmond Morris in his book Cat Watching it's what many
"domesticated" cats do when they see prey but are unable to actually
catch it.  The "teeth chattering" is them practicing severing the
spinal cord of their captured prey, thus disabling them.  Sounds
cruel, but I guess when capturing large, vicious prey like rats,
immediate disablement is preferred...

I've had several cats over the years that have made that noise, too.

I wonder what my cat is thinking when she sits on my chect with her paws on my shoulder and purrs while I stroke her back? The fact that she starts kneading my hair and drooling into it have anything to do with thoughts of taking a spine severing bite out of my neck some day?

:-)

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

“If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn’t need to lug a camera.”
–Lewis Hine