I think you are slightly mistaken in your figures (I am being polite). The
current of four batteries in series is the same as one battery, but the
voltage is 4 times as high. For batteries in parallel have 4x the current
but the voltage stays the same as one battery.

However, the question of whether rechargeable will hurt the equipment is a
matter of whether the manufacture was depending on the internal resistance
(high on alkalines, low on rechargeables) for current limiting, or has built
current limiting into the circuit (more expensive). A battery will deliver
current proportional to its load, and if there is no external load that is
the internal resistance. A dead shorted ni-cad AA will deliver about an amp
for a couple of minutes. Long enough to melt the battery and maybe the
equipment it is in, and that kind of current can destroy integrated circuits
in micro-seconds.

So, if the manufacture did not design the equipment to use rechargeables you
may have a problem, a very real problem. On the other hand sometimes they
just tell you not to use rechargeables to limit their liability, or to try
and make you buy their own battery pack, and the equipment is perfectly
capable of handling them.

Ciao,
graywolf